Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My life is CONSUMED by music. I noticed today as I walked to class without my headphones that I was immensely unhappy not being able to listen to my iPod. There's always that song that speaks to me in the moment, and coming as someone who believes to have struggled with depression, music is a beautiful thing. I sit and I listen instead of thinking, I get out of my head. When I drive, I listen and it helps me stay calm and see the forest and the trees. When something bad happens, I listen and it makes me more aware of how beautiful life is and how much we all have to live for. And when I lose someone who means the world to me, I listen to our song, and it reminds me of a time when they loved me and when life was simple.
Music is an escape of sorts for many people, myself included. I never realized how much time I spend with an earbud in my ear or my speakers thumping until I had such eerie quiet this past year. When they say bad things come in threes, I really think that's true. Although it seems like when bad things start to happen, they start pouring on you and it's a water-boarding feeling and makes you think nothing in the world is okay, and everyone is out to get you.
For me, when I hear music, it's like I've seen new light, breathed new air and recreated myself. Music for me is the ultimate prize. No matter who you are, no matter what walk of life you're from, you can just sit back and enjoy the feelings of love or hate, success or retribution. Music can transform your condition and take you above and beyond your world. I encourage everyone to listen to more music, you may just learn something about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment