Sunday, May 2, 2010

Something like that:

It's been almost a year since I had the worst thing in my life happen to me. I'll give you a quick run-down. It's early May, around finals time, and the setting is at a raging kegger on Sagewood. Not only am I there with my pseudo-best friends Emma, Stephanie and Nicole, but a variety of other people I haven't spoken to in a year. Nicole freaks out when she thinks I'm making a move on Newman, as preposterous as that is, since Newman is twelve feet tall and a complete oaf. Being as rowdy as boys are, things are broken, and of course, being the outcast of the moment, the blame is placed on me. Days later, I get phone calls from a blocked number saying I'm being 'served' (of course you can't be served over the phone), and that my DNA was found on the car (did they swab my mouth in my sleep?), and that I was required to pay the $1,000 to fix the broken property (they were surprised to find I'd done my homework and the damage was only $350). To say I cut off communication with those girls is an understatement. I haven't spoken to them since. That experience made me not trust people. It made me hate people.
I'm not sure why I can't stop thinking about you; The first person after the above experience that let me trust anyone. (I'm still uncomfortable talking about it), so I don't know why I keep thinking 'Oh, I wish I could go back' or 'Maybe it'll be better one day'. It's so funny to me that I'm still optimistic about a situation that will never get better, can never be better. We talk, and it's nice. I can still hear your voice and laugh in my head, it makes me happy to think that I'll have that memory forever. But it makes me sick to think that's all I have. Granted, we're young, we're great friends, but beyond that: You're too emotional for me. You told me your thoughts 24/7, and while it was nice to hear the things you liked about me, I was a little embarrassed.
Then our friend died, my brother got sick and you asked me if I'd considered anger management. The person I confided in so much asked me if I'd ever consider "getting help regarding my anger issues". Of course I have. I've also considered slamming a frying pan over someone's head, but I'd never do it. It's so hard to go back to the beginning of a relationship that is doomed to fail. It's almost impossible to take back thoughts, but it's eternally impossible to take back words and actions. Though I'd like to go back, I know I can't. Even though I know I'll never have the opportunity to mean more to you than a few months out of your life, I can't say the same about you.
I'll always cherish your memory, because you taught me the best lesson of all. "Time can make a feeling fade, like an old photograph, but the memory of a first love never fades away." It took you three months to say it, and it scared the living shit out of me, I think I knew the feeling was there all along, but I never wanted to take it there, because you can't take those three words back. I know that it's still fresh for me, because it takes time to move on, but it makes me feel disappointed that I wasted all of that trust on you. Shame on you, sir. Shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment